Lee Valley Enterprise Board created this website to promote all aspects of the town of Macroom and the beautiful Lee Valley in which it lies. Here you will find information about the business and enterprises of the area, the schools and clubs that provide education and recreation for its people and news of the people themselves in the Lee Valley Outlook pages.
The Beacon Retail Programme commenced in Macroom last August, with 15 prominent business people signing up for the programme, which was delivered by Retail experts James Burke and Keith Harford of James Burke & Associates. The aim of the programme was to look at the existing business model being used by the retailers and build a 12 month strategic plan for their businesses. There was a terrific response from the retailers and James and Keith were delighted with the progress made by participating businesses.
Participants included Pat O'Neill of O'Neill's Sport & Leisure; Ellen O'Leary, No 57 Gourmet Kitchen; Kay O'Keeffe, Vaughan's Café; Nora McCarthy, Glenview Motors; Ann Dunne; Denise Moloney, McCarthy's Newsagents; Brigin Quinlan, Quinlan's Gifts; Breda Clancy, Clancy's Fresh Fish; Bill Fitzgerald, John Fitzgerald's; David O'Leary, Cave Connections; Henry Murphy, Matt Murphy's Pharmacy; Michael Twomey, Michael Twomey Butchers; June Murphy, Costcutter Express and Miriam McMahon, T. M Cronin's.
The Beacon Initiative is heavily subsidised by the Cork County Council's Economic Development Fund, with 75% of the cost covered by the fund, leaving just 25% to be paid for by the business. Requirements of businesses varied – for some it was how to grow their sales and increase market share, for others it was a review of their current processes and efficiencies and for others still, their concerns were focused on how to improve customer satisfaction ratings. Because every SME has a different need, the approach Beacon takes focuses specifically on the company in question. It starts out with a one to one meeting with the SME owner for a discussion on where the business is currently, what the future plans are and how they are working towards achieving these plans. All available Beacon Initiative supports are then considered and a follow up meeting is arranged between the SME and a key member of the Advisory Team who designs a strategic working document, addressing all the challenges which have been identified and this will set the direction and milestones to be reached to help move the business to the next level. The Advisor will work with the SME for a set period of time, during which the working document will be reviewed at key stages to ensure it is implemented as outlined, by all parties.
Cork County Council is now inviting registrations for the establishment of a proposed Cork County PPN structure. The PPN will replace the current Community & Voluntary Forum. It will be of interest to the following groups:
§ Community & Voluntary – e.g. local/community development groups, tidy towns, sports groups/clubs/associations
§ Social Inclusion – bodies tacking poverty, disadvantage, and the marginalised
§ Environmental organisations – environmental / ecological protection and sustainability
In an effort to ensure that the PPN will include as broad a representation of eligible groups as possible, the Council will be engaging in an advertisement and publicity campaign. Any support that your local development company can provide in propagating the message would be appreciated. It may be possible, for example, to:
Publish a PPN notice/link on your website, and/or
Circulate this email to your database of local community groups
Further information is available on the Council's website via the following link: Cork County Public Participation Network
The closing date for receipt of initial registrations is 4th February 2015. Applications will continue to be accepted after this date, but such applicants will not have voting rights for the initial setup of the PPN.